Thursday, September 3, 2009

DIY & other things!

Just as a quick preface, I fully recognize my football background as being completely over the top however, I just couldn't help myself! This week was a fun one. We are trying to be more "active" as a family. That is a nice way for saying I'm gaining weight because of all the baking I do and when a handicapped boy at church asked me when I was due, I decided something needed to be done! Sooo....I got new running shoes for my bday and Scott got a tennis racket and soccer ball for his--we have been outdoors much more! We are terrible tennis players but that suites our purpose since we spend most of our time chasing the balls around the court--makes for some great cardio! The boys love it and I am sore in places where I didn't realize muscles existed. Jason was my little worker elf one afternoon as I refinished a set of dressers for the boys room. Ryan managed to completely destroy the cheap hand-me-down they had so it was time for something a little more "sturdy". Jason was given a stern lecture about where paint does and does not belong. He did pretty well for a three year old boy in mess heaven. He was sooo excited when Scott came home from work and he could show him what he did. We even found some great sports wall stickers that he put everywhere. Finally, a very "boy" bedroom for the kiddos! Last but not least, my favorite part of the week: when I was little I had a Sesame Street book featuring the blue little monster Grover. It was called "Monster at the End of the Book" and is all about Grover being afraid of the monster. He nails pages together, tries to tie the book closed, builds brick walls etc only to have the reader continually turning pages. Finally he throws his hands in the air and screams "YOU TURNED ANOTHER PAGE". I LOVED it and my mother, being the wonderfully inspired woman that she is, gave the same book to the boys last time she was here. Jason enjoys it too, usually it is the first book chosen for story time and it is generally read more than once. The other day I peeked in Ryan's room where he is notorious for hiding out and playing for hours at a time. There he was, flipping pages in this infamous book. He gets to the page where Grover becomes frustrated and suddenly Ryan throws his hands in the air, face turns beet red and he screams "THE PAGE" which as the afternoon wears on evolves into "OH NO, THE PAGE". He has been obsessed ever since. He lays in his bed at night and we can hear him muttering "oh no, the page" for at least a half hour. I finally caught it on camera--for posterity's sake :) enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How fun! I love getting new athletic gear. Even if the magic is only temporary, it always makes me want to get out there and be more active. The boys room is very cute. Oh - and so are the boys, of course!

Diana Hulme said...

so cute! good job. i love a good coat of paint - it freshens things up so much!

ryan is so adorable! i can't stop laughing about "the page!" hehe!