Thursday, March 25, 2010

My One True Love!

The day started out sluggish and slow. I felt drained already and it was only 9am. It dragged on, hour by hour, occupied by minimal housework, avoiding packing and trying to keep the boys entertained. By 5pm it felt like 10pm and I just wanted to go back to sleep. I still had 2 1/2 hours to kill before the kiddos went to bed--I could hear the clock tick slower and slower as every second DRAGGED on. Enough was enough! We threw on shoes and jackets, grabbed the keys and headed out the door for a walk to the mailbox. It was only around the block but if I let them get distracted I might actually be able to burn a half hour! We get to the box, put the key in and what do I find..."wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles"...a package. A box sent from my sister Lisa. The boys are excited, "a present for me," cries Jason! Ryan jumps up and down and babbles something about Lightening McQueen??? All time burning is forgotten. We rush back around the block, excited to get our glorious package opened and discover the wondrous contents inside. The kids clamour on chairs around the table, chanting "open, open, open". My hand shakes a little with anticipation as I cut through the packaging tape, open the top flaps and remove the bubble wrap from inside. My heart stops for a moment, literally halts, as I realize what the priceless treasure is....GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!!!! My loving, thoughtful, beautiful sister sent me GIRL SCOUT COOKIES.
She knew I had missed the boat here in Kingman, Provo was still selling them and she came through for me. I don't know that I have ever enjoyed checking the mail so much in my life. 5 minutes after opening, our hands and faces were covered in chocolate--ok just the boys but still! My tummy was full of thin minty goodness followed by a cold glass of milk. Oh my sister--and Girl Scout Cookies--you have been a much needed relief to a long and droning day. How I will cherish you forever--who am I kidding--I'm lucky if they'll last a week but it will be the most tasty week of my life!

1 comment:

The Read Family said...

That was hilarious!! I needed a good laugh to start out the day! Your writing is amazing and it is SO nice to know that I am not the only one counting the minutes before bedtime! ;)