Sunday, March 7, 2010

Kingman "CALL GIRL" career day? say that 5 times fast!

So for the last year I've taught the 8-12 year olds in Primary and have loved it. I always let them go around the circle and tell me one cool thing they got to do the previous week--gets the chatter out so hopefully they listen better (sometimes it works)! So today a little girl in class (I'll call her "sugar" to protect the innocent) said "last week I got to dress up like a call girl for school". No joke--I was stunned--especially when another girl in her same grade but different class whispers "she was a prostitute for career day?" So wanting to figure out whose idea this was (her parents, crazy teacher, her, some unknown role model etc) I ask, "Really? What did you wear?". She responds, "a cowboy hat, boots and vest." I'm thinking, oh I hope there was more to it than that, this kid is only 8! And yet, as dumbfounded as I was, I wasn't as surprised as I should have been, I mean this is Kingman. Land of the Sunday "great deal" yard sale advertised in Relief Society, the 80 year old granny I saw in a motorized shopping cart with a pistol on her belt--what other surprises could there be? As I ask more questions it becomes clear--she dressed up like a COWGIRL not CALL GIRL--she just got her W and LL's mixed up. Gideyup! Another adventurous day at church in good 'ole Kingman, AZ! I think I might miss this place--or at least my blog will!

No comments: