Friday, March 19, 2010

9 vs 12 month school year--feedback PLEASE!


Ok Dear Void,

Here is the question at hand: 9 month school or 12 month school?

The areas we are looking to buy a house are ALL year-round school zones and I have mixed feelings. I myself (and Scott) always attended the traditional 9 month system--there was no other option where we grew up and I find myself preferring that for my kids too. I'm not sure I like the idea of "no summer break" and have heard stories about kids being placed on differing "tracks" making family vacations difficult. I also think about things like Scout camps, sports camps, sports in general and wonder how a 12 month zone will effect all that. I'm concerned about the quality of education and wonder if there are downsides to either system (9 vs 12 month)? I'm wondering if my desire for a 9 month zone is valid enough to let it determine the area in which we buy a house or if I am letting it carry "too much weight" in our living decisions? I never thought I'd have to deal with this decision but winding up in Vegas has left hardly any other option open--btw--I am not cut out for homeschooling and want my kids in a public/charter system so that isn't an option.

I don't care who you are or what your background is; educator, parent, child, grandparent etc but I want your "educated" opinion on the question at hand, "How concerned should I be about living in a year round school zone?" I want to know the positives, negatives and everything in between. I have several friends, family members etc that are teachers, have kids in year round, were in year round themselves etc and I want you ALL to weigh in--send me an email if you don't feel like there is enough room to write everything in the comments section: sntidwell@yahoo.com

Thanks!

4 comments:

wylie said...

Hey Nat! Grace is in traditional but I have wanted year round before. It is actually easier to take family vacations and not be at Disneyland, etc. when everyone and their dog is there for summer break. As far as educational value, I think it definitely has benefits because the kids don't go three months without school where they have more time to forget what they learned. Anyways, I think there are definitely advantages to year round school.

Katie said...

Hey. I thought I'd give you a little insight from someone who has experienced the Las Vegas school system. I know I don't have any kids but I have been in traditional 9-month, year-round and double sessions. Personally I didn't mind any of them. The breaks in year-round were nice and I didn't feel like I missed out on a summer break. I also didn't feel like the quality of education was different between any of them. The only thing is that I was in middle school for all of these so it might be different for your little guys. Also, I'm pretty sure if you put up a big enough fight you'd be able to get your kids on the same track. I really think any schedule your school is on would be ok. =)

Tams Family said...

I was on year round in elementary and didn't mind it at all. I was usually ready for a break by the time it came and ready to go back to school when the break was over. I never felt like I missed out on summer vacation and we were always able to have a fun family vacation without having to fight the crowds over the summer. My siblings and I were always on the same track. We never had to fight for that. Good luck with your decision!

David and Summer Jenkins said...

Hey Nats!
Well, I attended year round when I was a child and now I teach traditional. So, having seen both...I would vote for year round. I think the set up of 12 weeks on, 3 weeks off is exactly what kids need. The break is good for teachers and students, and I think it prevents either from getting to that "burn-out" stage (which we are all hitting right about now in the traditional schools)! I also think it is beneficial, as they jump from grade to grade, to not have such a long summer break. They lose a lot...and I mean a lot, over the three month break. I really like the year round model.
From what I know, most schools try very hard to get families on the same track. Also, if you get some of the better tracks (I was on a great track as a child) your three weeks off usually fall at normal holidays (3 week Christmas, etc.) I also ended up with July and most of August off. So- I think if you can score a decent track, year round is the way to go. I hope my kids end up in year round. Hope that helps- it just works well with their little minds to have breaks.