Monday, February 1, 2010

Block Walls & Vomit???

The last 48 hours has had me throwing my hands up in the air yelling "Really life, seriously?" But at least it had me laughing in the end. It all started with a lazy Saturday afternoon of meandering through a few mattress stores--salivating over pillow top king sized bundles of goodness. Every time I'm pregnant we wish we had a king size bed, this time we might actually do something about it! Back to the story--Ryan takes off running down the sidewalk, Jason yells "I'll get him" and begins to chase down his little brother. I walk quickly behind, making sure they are ok. Ryan turns to make sure someone is in pursuit, I yell at him to "come back right now!" He giggles and rounds the corner at top speed--it is a dead end so no where for him to go. I slow down, he sees me and of course, speeds up, tripping just in time to land head first into a cinder block wall. There was no catching himself with his hands, no slowing down, just full speed ramming his little forehead into the concrete. I fully expected gushing blood based on the sick thumping sound he made on contact. Instead, when I got to him 10 seconds later there was a 2 inch lump forming on his forehead, swollen and blue under the surface where are the blood was building up. I think I stood there for a full 30 seconds debating on rushing him home or to the hospital--it looked that bad! Scott had his head on better than I, snagged some ice from the Circle K next door and began applying pressure. Long story short, we got him home, iced him every half hour and waited for the swelling to go down. He woke up looking much better Sunday morning but he is beginning to turn an excellent shade of blue, green and brown all over his forehead.

Now where does the vomiting come in you may be wondering? During one of his icing sessions Ry got particularly worked up. Now you have to know Ryan, he is a fighter--he fights anything and everything for no real reason at all. He is also an easy gagger & massive puker. When he gets worked up he begins to gag and if it continues he then throws up (I sometimes think he does this at will knowing we will let him get whatever he wants because we are afraid he'll gag & puke) This time, to have a reason (thumping head and really cold ice pack) he fought even harder resulting in Scott holding his head still in one hand, ice in the other and me pinning his body down to control the rapid thrashing. He then started gagging, we tried to sooth but eventually let him stand up to calm down for a second. What happened, he vomited chocolate milk and pb&j all over the carpet. I caught some with my nearby jacket, Scott grabbed him at arms length and relocated him to the tile to finish the job. I closed my eyes trying to focus on flowers and sunshine and breathing through my mouth instead of what was happening a few feet away. Did the flowers and sunshine help you wonder? NOPE! 30 seconds later, still on my knees from helping Ryan, but at least on the tile instead of the carpet, I COMPLETELY lose it all over the floor. Scott gave himself whiplash wondering who to help first, the mom or the boy. Instead he bee-lines for the camera, laughing and shaking his head in amazement/disgust. After a few quick shots and humorous jabs about his dynamic duo of puking son and wife, he got Ry guy stripped down, in the tub as I finished my business, got stripped down and hosed off. Scott moped, I scrubbed carpet. We were quite the team. We even finished with 5 min. to spare before our company showed up for treats that night. At least I was laughing when all was said and done, it could have been worse!

icing his head


totally self explanitory!

6 comments:

melissa said...

EEEEEWWWWW!! I cannot believe Scott took pictures of that! I often think I am becoming a sympathetic puker because of my kids. maybe I don't notice I'm sick until they are sick and throwing up, but who knows. i think its psychosomatic. they puke, therefore, i want to puke. seriously, i can't believe you put vomit on your blog. way to go Natalie:) you are a brave woman!

Matt said...

Sick! Funny, but still sick!

Caitlin said...

What a wonderful husband.

Tams Family said...

Wonderful! There's nothing more fun than cleaning up vomit while you're preggo. You're a trooper!

Ali said...

OH WOW! I can't stop laughing. That's horrible!

Morgan said...

HAHA!! Can't believe you actually showed it! At least you cleaned it up real well, we didn't smell it one bit! :)