Monday, October 5, 2009

Ode To Grandma, Frosting & Halloween!


Some of the greatest recipes I have I owe to my Grandmothers! Every once in a while I get this crazy thought in my head to stray from the tried and true! I did just that when making sugar cookies for the kiddos to decorate while the menfolk were at the priesthood session of General Conference. Actually, I attribute the insane moment of straying to a great coupon and needing to save a little time. I ended up BUYING sugar cookie dough from the store instead of making Grandma Ahlstrom's infamous cream cookies. I know, I know, I can hear generations of Ahlstrom women screaming at me in shame. "Garbage, filth, refuse..." like the crazy bag lady from Princess Bride! Let me tell you, lesson learned--never again will I buy cookie dough. IT WAS AWFUL! Not only did it taste like poo--you know that is the truth when even your "sugar-running-through-his-veins" 3 year old won't eat the cookies right? But they didn't roll out like they should have, got all gummy and stuck to my counters. Ended up having to use waxed paper to bake them on cuz I couldn't transfer them to a cookie sheet without everything falling to a mushy, sticky mess. I pretty much hate you Pil****ury company sugar cookies! Regardless, my friends frosting and our combined candy corn, tons of sprinkles and noninvasive mothering helped the kids have a great time anyway. We topped it off with a little pizza and oreo cookie ice cream. Come on, are you surprised--you know I do dessert first! HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE. It is fall and I'm loving it! and ps. grams i'm sooo sorry, i'll never do your recipes injustice again--promise!

Enjoying some halloween pjs from Grammy Jean


Loving sweater weather

2 comments:

Megan said...

I NEED a good sugar cookie recipe. Does Grandma share her recipes? If so, I'd LOVE to get it from you. meganfly@gmail.com if you ever get a chance. I have never tried the canned kind, but I haven't heard good things. I guess tried and true wins again!

Diana Hulme said...

ahhh...your boys are so adorable!