Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Big Visit

First and foremost, let me say--Nevada is a rip off! I am missing out on my favorite season of the year. That's right folks, I love the fall. I love everything about it, the smells, colors of changing leaves, hearty comfort foods right out of grandma's recipe book, but especially hot chocolate and sweater weather. Living here I GET NONE OF IT, AGGGHHHHH! So I've decided to rebel and wear a sweater, wool skirt and my favorite brown leather boots to church on Sunday. It may be 90 degrees outside, and I might sweat like a hog but it is the middle of October and I am done with summer so Las Vegas had better get with the program!

I guess to make up for the weather, we have begun making gourmet caramel apples for our business. They've been a big hit cuz I just made 16 for one person this week. General Conference was much needed and so fantastic! But even better than all of that--my family came to visit! Mom, Dad and Missy arrived Sunday evening and we have had a blast. We (the girls) hit up the Premium Outlets and I have a few new favorite stores there--Anne Klein & Anne Taylor--I never knew what I was missing! We've eaten out so much I want to explode and even had our traditional "pre" Thanksgiving dinner. Oh yes, you heard me right, turkey, cranberries, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie--you name it, we ate it. However, we did try out the Las Vegas Zoo...it turned out to be three tiny acres of pigeons running around, a few peacocks, LOTS of chickens and a stinky, smoked filled gift shop full of things from a previous century (including the cashier). Lucky for us, Jason didn't know the difference and had a great time feeding the big birds with Papa (currently his favorite person in the whole world). He loves sitting on his lap and driving Dad's big truck in our neighborhood.

Anyway, just wanted to say that grandparents (good ones--cuz not everyone has great ones like my kids and me) are angels. It is so great to have family in town and catch up with them. Mom and Dad took off this morning but we get to keep Missy until Tuesday. I wish I had 2 extra hands every day of my life!




2 comments:

Diana Hulme said...

Oh how I miss fall too! It seems to be fall-ish weather ALL the year here in San Francisco, but we don't get the leaves-changing & the actual shift in temperature that really signals fall.
So good to read up on how you guys are doing. Congratulations on your catering business - that's awesome. Your little boys are the cutest - the perfect mix of you & Scott. I love seeing your parents with them - they look so happy!
Miss you!

Andrus Family said...

I'm with ya on the fall weather, Nat! That has been one of the highlights for the past month, and I've been taking full advantage on the sweater weather. Good luck with the catering business - it looks awesome!!