Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Nostalgia


Today is Ryan's 1st birthday and I'm left wondering where the last year has gone? I'm getting teary as only a mom can while looking at all the pictures we have of him, reflecting on each individual memory. I feel like I'm in "You've Got Mail" right when Meg Ryan's store has been shut down and that sad song "remember" is playing in the background. I think if I close my eyes tight and hold really still I can remember what it was like holding him for the first time, being so grateful for those first few moments when a new baby is introduced into this world.

From the very beginning I knew Ryan would be different from Jason. They are both happy kids but Ryan has always had a calming influence on me. He was very mellow, from the first minute I felt him wiggle in my tummy until right now. Even the Doctors and nurses were surprised that his heart rate seemed more steady and slow during labor--they were actually a little concerned but I reassured them that's just how he was, and I was right.

A few things I love about my chubs:
*Ryan likes to do things at his own pace. We call him slug sometimes because of it. He never struggled to roll over, sit, crawl, stand or walk. One day he just decided to do each one with no previous warning it was coming. Even his teeth are taking their sweet time getting here...Jason was eating hot dogs by 9 months with a full set of teeth and Ryan in still gumming crackers.
*His fat baby chuckle (at least that is what we call it.) He has a deep throaty giggle that he gives when being tickled or wrestled with.
*He loves to play. He gets a gleam in his eye if you sit on the floor and it doesn't matter where he is in the room, he makes a speedy dash right for your face. He loves to grab my cheeks and pull my face in for a big slobbery kiss.
*He is totally one hundred percent my boy. Ten times out of ten he chooses mom instead of dad. Jason is officially a daddy's boy so Ryan is my snuggling ally.
*He has the best, biggest, drooliest smile you have ever seen!
*Last is his curly hair. It is gorgeous. I only hope my girls have hair half as great! Scott wants to cut it, the kid can barely see because it is getting so long but for some reason I just can't let it go. The last sign of him still being a "baby" I guess.

So...happy birthday baby. You came at just the right time and I love having you in my life!

In my family it is tradition to pick your birthday cereal (cuz dad is a dentist and sugar cereals were HUGE treats)


A "fun" day in the pool. I think Jason liked splashing Ryan more than Ryan enjoyed getting splashed!


The traditional boys first football cake!



After a bath, a ride on my new birthday toy!

4 comments:

nurselynn said...

Such wonderful pictures of your darling little(est) boy! He is SO cute!! I look forward to him being in the nursery with us, it'll be so much fun! (mellow, is he??)

KiraD said...

Happy Birthday to Ryan! And I agree with you Nat the curls have to stay, I love them!

The Read Family said...

Happy Birthday Ryan!! He sure is a cutie! I'm loving the hair!!

Lesley said...

Happy Birthday to Ryan! Don't cut his hair! Nate convinced me to cut Brayden's curls and I cried after I did! He looked so bald without them!