Thursday, July 28, 2011

...having been born of goodly grandparents...

Some would say I'm lucky, others sheltered, I say I'm blessed--undeservedly so.  I "happened" into an amazing family and my life is so much better for it!  My Grandmother Betty Ahlstrom--my Mom's Mom--passed away in June and I've had many opportunities to reflect on her life and how much my Grandparents (on both sides of my family) have molded and shaped the person I am.  I'll let them claim the good things and won't hold the terrible parts over their heads for too long :-)  Grandma had 10 kids--my mom was the 9th/10th (a twin no less)--and those 10 children resulted in 60 grandchildren.  I think I'm somewhere in the 30's.  So far, 3/4 of us are married and over 90 great-grandchildren have joined us.  It sounds like a lot, I know, but it is normal for me.  And we aren't just a bunch of strangers that see each other every 10 years.  I know my cousins well, I know their spouses, their children, and in a few short years, their children's children and I wouldn't have it any other way!  We would do just about anything for each other.  We each have had our struggles, some significantly more trying than others, but every single one of us is married in the temple, active in the church and are working hard to raise good families that will continue to do the same.


I've wondered what made my Grandparents so special--mine were story book Grandparents (always glad to have a house FULL of kids, Grandma always had homemade cookies ready and Grandpa would sneak us treats from his study.)  I think the bottom line is that they got IT--they understand that life is all about family and that as long as their family was around them, they were happy.  And they passed that sense of family unity on to my parents and now on to me and my children.  There is a lot I want out of life but it all boils down to doing what is best for my little family--both temporally and spiritually.  So thank you Grandma and Grandpa Ahlstrom, for setting such great examples, raising wonderful children and sacrificing so much for your family!                            
The 2 photos are their engagement picture in 1941 and Grandpa's Army photo (isn't he dreamy :-)

No comments: