Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ice Cream O'Clock

For all you Harry Potter fans...remember Mrs. Weasley's magic clock that told her the mortal peril status of all her family members? Well, I have a magic clock too--you are jealous, I know! It is internal but that is neither here nor there. This wonderful, magical clock of mine tells me when it is time to have a bowl of ice cream in order to maintain motherhood sanity! Some days it chimes around 8pm when I've had a long but fulfilling day. I'm ready to put my feet up, watch my favorite tivo'd shows and dig into something light and refreshing like Chocolate Chip Mint ice cream.

Other days it chimes a little earlier--around 2pm--when I've put the boys down for a nap (who don't normally take naps but go to sleep in order to stay in the world of the living for another day!) The rascals--mostly Ryan but Jason is turning into quite the button pusher--have given me a headache. I need peace and quiet for at least an hour otherwise--in the words of Madagascar's King Julienne "i'm going to freak on them"! I pull out something a bit more potent from the freezer like Cookies 'n Cream. I eat a few hearty scoops, watch some Grey's Anatomy reruns and feel ready to face the rest of my day.

Every once in a while, that glorious magic clock chimes first thing in the morning--like earlier this week when Ryan decided that our digital camera needed a BATH! That's right folks, I was stuck on the couch feeding Collin when Jason comes running in with a dripping camera--Ryan following closely, wailing about "BATHTUB TIME" and angry that Jason ruined his fun. This was around 8:30am, so what did I do--instead of exploding I put the boys upstairs watching Toy Story and I pulled out something potent, lethal & completely necessary--Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl. It is chocolaty, fudgey, creamy with thick ribbons of real peanut butter running through it. I thought about a bowl and spoon but threw that notion out the window. I simply grabbed the carton, plopped on the sofa beside my drooling camera and dug in with the ice cream scoop shaped like a pig!

Thank you magic ice cream clock for saving me from throttling my children--you can chime at me anytime! Now all I need is a magic exercise clock that chimes right after my ice cream clock and saves my ever expanding backside!

1 comment:

Ali said...

You have had a crappy couple of days. Just what a mom with a newborn needs--drama! Because your kids have been lax at providing enough for you! Have you tried putting the camera in a bag of rice for a few days/weeks? I've heard it works with cell phones and it worked with Jack's R2D2...just a thought.
I think I need to do a better job of stocking good ice cream flavors in my freezer. Then, maybe i'd yell at the kids a little less...