Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A nice distraction!


I was asked to make a cake for a friend's baby shower Saturday night. I got to spend Friday and Saturday "playing" with all my fun tools & recipes--just what the dr. ordered to take my mind (and tummy) off of life-as-I-know-it. The photo isn't that great and the cake wasn't perfect but I had a great time and it sure tasted GOOD!

I used one of my favorite chocolate buttercream recipes--I'm not a huge fan of how fondant tastes even though the final product is much smoother. I personally prefer buttercreams--thus the "not so smooth" look of the cake, but rich creamy frosting was worth it. The decorations were made out of modeling chocolate--one of my favorite things to play with. It has the consistency of a tootsie roll but can be molded, cut out, shaped etc just like fondant--and again, tastes much better! Last but not least, underneath all the fluff was chocolate fudge cake with a raspberry cream filling. Delish!

7 comments:

Caitlin said...

Seriously Natalie, it was amazing! Thank you so much!

Morgan said...

I am still trying to burn off all those cake-calories. Thanks for making it! :)

Katie said...

Just read your last post about the 5 phases and it was a relief to know that I'm not the only mommy out there that struggles keeping a clean house and, oh i dunno, my sanity!! hang in there and know you're not alone. Except I'm not pregnant! (thank goodness)

Diana Hulme said...

wow. you are so talented! good choice on the buttercream. :)

Lower Fam said...

Are you kidding me Nat? The cake looks fabulous. I love it! Your culinary talents always amaze me. When are you going to bring me more lemon poppy seed bread? Oh'--we got the house. Crazy!

Unknown said...

Great job! BTW - I did find a recipe for buttercream fondant. Everyone says it tastes good and you can get it pretty thin, so you mostly taste the actual buttercream frosting underneath. Anyway, your cake was adorable and I definitely believe you when you say it was delicious! All this cake talk is making me want to whip whipping something up...

Tams Family said...

Love the cake! You are always so talented.