Sunday, April 1, 2012

And the winner is....drum roll please...

Thanks to everyone who participated in March's recipe contest.  We had a WIDE variety of CINNAMON ROLL recipes submitted, everything from caramel pecan rolls to some made with whole wheat flour.  This month was telling--for me anyway--of how cooking usually goes.  I liked certain aspects of A LOT of the recipes and so there is a TIE.  The winners are...Roma Tidwell (my adorable sister in law who didn't even know her recipe was entered) for the roll/dough portion and my cousin Amanda Reynolds for the filling & frosting portions.  They will each be receiving a gift card to Cold Stone.  I will post the new category for the month of April in a few days.  If you ever have a topic suggestion, let me know!

The hybrid recipe is as follows:

2 C warm water, 2 1/2 Tbs yeast, 3/4 c sugar--allow to proof for 10 min.
Add 1/3 c oil, 1 1/2 tsp salt , 2 beaten eggs--mix well and slowly add 1 small pkg vanilla pudding and 7 C flour.  Allow to knead for 7-10 min with dough hook & rise until double. 

While rising, mix 1 C softened butter, 1 1/2 C brown sugar, 6 Tbs cinnamon, 3 tsp cornstarch.

Roll out about 1/4 inch thickness and spread with filling leaving a 1 inch unfilled portion at the bottom of the dough.  Roll tightly, brushing the clean strip of dough with a little water to help seal the edges.  Using floss or string, cut rolls about 1 1/2 - 2 inches thick.  Starting in the center of a cookie sheet, arrange the rolls so that once risen, the edges will be touching--keeping them thick and fluffy during baking.  Allow to rise until almost double (approx 30 min).  Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 min.  Cover with tin foil if they begin to brown too quickly.

Frosting: 1/3 C butter, 8 oz cream cheese, 1/4 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp vanilla extract (pure Mexican vanilla works best), 1/8 tsp lemon extract, 2 C pwd sugar (or until you reach desired consistency).  Whip and frost warm rolls. 

Happy eating & thanks again for all your submissions!

3 comments:

Mike and Jen said...

Um...yum! These sound great. I'll have to try them this week while we're in spring break so that I'm not guilt of eating them while they're at school, lol. I'm only wondering why I didn't get asked to sample and help judge!?

melissa said...

I've been waiting for you to post this! yay! I think i'll try this over spring break- thanks Natalie!

Valerie Christensen said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm excited to try this!