Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mothers Never Sleep

I have to attribute this adaptation to my cousin but it was too perfect not to pass along. I love my mother and grandmothers--all women to aspire to be like (clean homes included :-)

You may be familiar with President J. Reuben Clark’s notable quote on how interest on debt never sleeps. I believe that there is a parallel with Motherhood:

"Motherhood never sleeps nor sickens nor dies; it never goes to the hospital; it works on Sundays and holidays; it never takes a vacation; it never fails to visit or travel to you; it is never laid off work or discharged from employment; it never works on reduced hours. [. . .] Motherhood is your companion every minute of the day and night; children cannot shun it or slip away from it; they cannot dismiss it; it yields to polite entreaties, but not to demands or orders; and whenever you get in your Mom’s way or cross her course or fail to meet her demands, she crushes you with love."

Motherhood may not yield monetary rewards. But like the compounding power of interest, one day moms will turn around to see what their children have become. Sister Hinckley said that:

"Being a mother at any age is a blessing, but as we age and our children become interesting and productive adults we really begin to savor the joys of the harvest, the fruit of our labors. How could we have known when they were young and the demands so constant that we would ever have the luxury of simply enjoying their loving companionship?"


I loved this Mother's Day most of all--I think it will continue like that, each one better than the last as my children learn to create, serve and express their love for family. Thanks to the preschool and Primary teachers to went above and beyond, helping them make adorable cards, taking pictures and printing them and teaching cute songs to sing to me. Thanks to a great husband who is appreciative, gives me flowers, cooks me bacon just the way I like it and knows that the way to my heart is through gourmet food!

No comments: