Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My Nose Knows


I woke this morning expecting our typical 90 degree weather but something was different. I opened the front door to walk Scott to the car, took a deep breath of cool, WET air and did a little jig in our driveway! The scents that hit my nose were vaguely familiar--a little dust, wet pavement, a damp musky blend that left me euphoric. You see, we don't get rain here--EVER--and this morning I opened all the windows wide as I could, inviting this welcomed smell to permeate the house and stick around as long as it pleases. And now I sit here, wishing I could capture the plinking sound of the tiny drops I hear tapping on my tiled roof, the water running down the rain gutters. It is refreshing and invigoratingly unique for us. Even Jason knew something was different as he crawled up on the couch watching and listening as our dusty little town is being given a much needed shower! I love the smell of rain!

5 comments:

Ali said...

Oh, I love the rain. I can't get enough of it in Utah...so I've been loving the wet weather we're having here, too! I'm glad you got to enjoy it!

Tams Family said...

I love the rain. There's almost nothing better than the smell of fresh rain or listening to it from a cozy couch.

Jeff and Kris said...

Hello there, This is Kris Hankins. I saw your blog off of Tina's. You have the cutest little family.

Diana Hulme said...

natalie, can you email me your address? my email is dianahulme@gmail.com. thanks!

Caitlin said...

Hey Natalie! Hope you don't mind, I found a link to your blog from Morgan's site. Just wanted to say hi!